Monday, March 16, 2020

RootsTech 2020

In February I attended my 10th RootsTech Conference. As usual, it was a great experience and I learned so many new things.  It is always a bit of a mob...

and this year with the Corona Virus concerns it seemed like a perfect breeding ground, but I carefully followed instructions (posted everywhere)
 and managed to come home without any new germs. I attend classes from 8 am to 5pm, but managed to get outside a couple of times during the lunch hour.  I was interested to see what was happening on Temple Square. The temple looks just the same from the east (my favorite view)
but the entire southeast quadrant is a construction pit now. This is the view looking west
and this is the view looking east

There was scaffolding on the south side and missing windows.

The Tabernacle and Assembly Hall were still open but the rest is a major construction zone.

I got to go to the Church History Museums exhibit on Women's suffrage in Utah. 

Wyoming territory gave women the right to vote in December 1869, but Utah women were the first to actually cast a vote in a United States election on August 1, 1870. I looked at my family tree and it appears that only Lucy Nutting Ferguson and her daughter Julia Ferguson Brown would have been able to vote. I hope they did! My other grandmothers were born in foreign countries and so wouldn't have been citizens. Women lost the right to vote in Utah in 1887 when the Edmonds-Tucker Act disenfranchised all women.

And that is your history lesson for today

No comments:

Post a Comment