Friday, April 13, 2012

Daffodils and hyacinths

We always say that April 15th is the prettiest time in our yard, and usually it snows on the 16th.  This year the snows came a little earlier and our bulbs are a little slower but it still looks pretty today.

We have a mixture of bulbs under the ornamental cherry in the back.  We have daffodils because they are cheap and we have hyacinths because my granddad Wesley Roehr loved hyacinths.


He told me the story of when his family moved from Oklahoma City to Kalispell, Montana when he was in the 4th grade.  He said the highlight of the year was when a neighbor lady gave him a hyacinth that he had been admiring in her yard.  He thought it was the most beautiful flower he had ever seen.


I can't say that I think the hyacinth is the most beautiful or my favorite flower, but I can never see one without thinking of my granddad.


The driveway is in full bloom too!


One thing the driveway is missing is Peter's car.  He moved to Denver this week.  We are missing Peter too.  Today was an epic ski day for Calvin that he had to enjoy alone.  There was about a foot of fresh snow and it was still snowing.  My idea of epic skiing is blue sky and groomed runs, so Calvin had to go by himself.  We miss having Peter here, but I'm sure that he is going to have a grand adventure in Denver.

1 comment: